BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, March 7, 2008

I remember...

It's really been one very hectic week since I last updated. Work has really taken a hold of me, but I decided that today, nothing, whether man made or not, can stop me from updating. So let's get to it already.

Tomorrow, Boo and I will travel home for a friend's wedding. Did I mention that Boo and I come from the same place? Yep, so we'll get to spend time with our families. I'm really not looking forward to seeing his family members, God help me. His sisters are coming for the wedding as well - arrhggg.

Just as I was thinking about my childhood yesterday, I remembered an incident that occurred when I was about six years old. It happened to my younger sister and I. She was two. Her name is K. I used to go for evening lessons then. The driver would drop me and my elder brother off by 3:00pm after school and my parents will come pick us up at 6:00pm. I used to love the drive back home. My parents would stop to buy roasted corn and pear or bole (roasted plantain) depending on the season, for us to eat on the ride back home. I just loved those evenings. We lived in the G.R.A and the streets were always quiet and cool, because of the big trees along the road. My sister and I would ask our parents to drop us off two streets from our house, so we could walk home and eat our snack and just enjoy nature. The streets were short and so the walk was less than 10 minutes. This was usually the highlight of our day.

One faithful day, as we were walking back home from the point our parents had dropped us off, we met two men. You see, our parents told us never to talk to anyone we didn't know on our way. So when we saw the two men, we made to pass them. I noticed that they were looking at us as if trying to look for something. I remember one of them one was wearing camouflage shirt and trousers and the other wore cream linen (or maybe it was cotton) buba and sokoto (native style shirt and trouser). Camouflage guy said to linen guy, when we got close enough to hear,
'Let's take them. They look OK to me.'
Linen guy answered, 'No now, they are too small.' They stopped to look at us, but we kept walking. K didn't seem to realize what had just happened. I took her hand and we picked up our pace. My heart was pounding. After a few steps, I courageously looked back. They were still arguing with themselves. Our bend was just around the corner and as soon as we took it, I told K, 'Run!'

We ran like we have never run before. I never looked back until I was safely inside my house. My Mom asked what the matter was, and I narrated the whole thing to her. She told me that the men were kidnappers! Of course that was the last time we ever took our evening stroll on the way back from lesson. It's funny the things you never forget from your childhood.

I remember once when my Mom traveled, my Dad had to give me a bath in the morning to prepare me for school. I was in KG3. I remember my Mom never had the patience to feed us when we were little, it was always my Dad's job. He'll sit with us for hours until we were fed our lunch. By this time my Mom had entered 'gear 2' in her siesta. I remember My Dad used to always make breakfast on week days before waking our Mom and us. I remember my Mom taking me to the market one evening, (I couldn't have been more than 2) and one woman said I was a future 'Miss Nigeria'! I remember I took baby formula until after my sister was born. I remember I had this massive toy guitar I loved to play in front of the TV anytime a music video played on TV. I remember I used to love touching one exposed live wire in the living room. The shock was thrilling! I had no idea it was dangerous, until I was caught. So many random things come to mind now. Let me not get all weird on you!

I'm almost done fixing my new place up. I've hung my TV up on the wall. It's really wonderful having my own place. My ex flattie and her fiance have paid me my money. They are still together. Don't ask me how come. I'm not interested. Bayo just wants to move the wedding forward. I'm hearing it will be in May. Wharrever men. I wish them all the best. Me and Boo are doing OK. All is well and I'm grateful to God. I don't think I'm forgetting anything. So there. Have a lovely weekend.

I'm out.

38 comments:

onydchic said...

Now that I have re-claimed my prize... can i just say, i envy you. Wish I had my own place.... sigh...

As for ur ex flatmate and her bf, i cant believe they're still getting married. Too much water under the bridge men.

I had a similar near kidnap case when i was a kid, too. I ALSO lived at GRA. GRA where were you? Was it in lag?

Naija Chickito said...

@onydchic- Welcome back. It's really been a longgg while. Where have you been? I believe you are OK.

Congrats jare. The first place is always reserved for you.

No, not Lag.hahaha. Really about the kidnap? Terrible experience huh? Thank God for saving us.

Now please go and update. Hanlele!

Anu boy said...

heyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.... what is ondychic doing on my spot... ake ya time ohhh.

anyways... i am glad things ended up good...

take it easy

Simi Speaks said...

Hey girlie, hope work isnt too stressful.

your dad sounds sooo cool!!! made ur food? huh? my dad never ventured near the kitchen.. lol..

loved ur reflections!

ibiluv said...

memories........they mould us i guess..when we remember it usually brings a smile to our faces

Naapali said...

I am not surprised to hear you describe an idyllic childhood, helps explain the adult you are now. Nigeria is indeed a dangerous, scary, fascinating place to grow up, I am glad you were both too small for those men.

Anonymous said...

yes oh i wish i had my own place too men..nice memories, lol....glad u n boo r doing fine...wish u all d best!

Afrobabe said...

I have the same problem,...yes I call it a problem of remembering things that happened centuries ago yet can hardly remember what I wore yday...

darkelcee said...

what brought out these oldies?
Someone is getting old? lol

Just kiddin.
How you dey?

bumight said...

I like this post...the nostalgia mixed with the present.

Hephzibah said...

so cool...happy for you chick...takia...

Jen Juma said...

Landed ur blog today. AWESOME!!!! I'm AN OFFICIAL fan. Have a great time in ur new place.

Nice Anon said...

LOL. I remember i actually believed i was the girl doing imperial leather commercial when i was a kid. My aunt told me and i believed her.
And for your ex house mate; they are getting married after all that's happened? Am sure the dude is cheating as well. Na wa oh
Have fun at the wedding

Bubblegum Thug said...

ur dad sounds very involved.

La Reine said...

I can't help but feel sorry for your ex-flatmate and her 'guy', serious delusions there.

Like onydchic, I'm mad jealous of you having your own place....nice you didn't have to fight for your money back sha.

...nice stroll down memory lane

Thirty + said...

Na wa for your ex flat mate o, anywayz it's their house and they should govern it as they like.

You must have a good memory for remembering the market scene with your mum at just TWO years of AGE!!! My own earlies memory was prolly 4 or 5

Naija Vixen said...

You got your money back, so one good thing out of that situation...that was a lucky escape...you remember sturvs oh!!!

Naija Chickito said...

@anuboy- No fight ony o. That na her spot, OFFICIALLY! Anyway, thanks and take care too.

@Simi-The guy is lazy now and doesn't go near the kitchen anymore. Neither does my mum! They paid their dues though!

@ibiluv- Yeah...*sighs*

@naapali- Been a long time you left a serious comment. Naughty you!

@risquediva- Thanks babes. I'm so glad I gat my own place. But it does get lonely sometimes...

@afrobabe- Lol. No point in trying to remember yesterday so soon! Just give it another 20 years.

@darkelcee- Sometimes, I like to remember where I am coming from. Helps me to be more thankful. I'm fine, you?

@bumight-Thanks dear.

@naijachic- Thanks dear. Take care too.

@Ladi-Thank you very much. You are welcome to my blog. Will check you out too.

@nice anon- Lol. Imperial leather girl indeed. LOL. That's really funny.

I believe they are deluding themselves. Waiting to see what comes out of it all.

@pinkgloves- Emm.. 'was' is more like it. Now, he just a lazy old dude!

@la reine- Thanks babe. God has been good. What can I say?

@30+-Yeah, I think I have a relly good memory. I just remember specifics like that. As for those two..Lord have mercy!

@naija vixen- Are you telling me? Can't be happy enough. And I do remember, don't I? Lol

anonymous gal(retired blogger) said...

Abeg if boos sis cant accept u its there loss.*hiss*and bayo na correct mugu does he think bringin the weddin 4ward would solve his issues? *hiss*
nice relections.im still jeolous over the plasma tv.@ nice anon lol u thot that was u? good grief

anonymous gal(retired blogger) said...

Abeg if boos sis cant accept u its there loss.*hiss*and bayo na correct mugu does he think bringin the weddin 4ward would solve his issues? *hiss*
nice relections.im still jeolous over the plasma tv.@ nice anon lol u thot that was u? good grief

Uzo said...

Problems with boo's sisters?

desperate lady said...

hey dear how've u been?
My comment is so late so i'll just ask how the wedding was
plus i think that bayo dude is marrying that girl for a reason, maybe money rituals or something cos i dont understand why he'll still wanna be with her.

Anonymous said...

future miss nigeria-lol

Brilliantly Me said...

Doesn't it always shock you, the random things you remember from childhood? And they always seem to come out of nowhere.

Flourishing Florida said...

my dear, it seems to me u've a pretty goof life, coun ur blessing men. so happy 2 read abt ur dad. so domesticated, he is. hmm. so wish my man would b dat sort of father/husband. a, so sure u'd b like ur mom, too impatient 4 all d nonsense kids do

Naija Chickito said...

@anonymous gal- I've accepted that they don't have to like me, and I ain't even trying! *hiss*. And my new T.V? There's nothing like it. Not to worry, you'll get one soon.

@uzo- Don't mind them fake girls. They think that they are better than me.

@DL- Lol. The wedding was alright, except for the time I had to spend with Boo's family. Lol@ Bayo and Sade..lol. rituals huh? Beginning to think the exact same thing!

@pink-satin- I was just a hot little thing... with my diaper padded butt.

@rayo- Hmmm, tell me about it.

@Florida of Free Spirit- I do have a lot to be thankful for. I choose not to dwell on the negative things in my life, but on the positive.

I think I will be like my mum. Hope my husband is like my dad (em, that doesn't sound quite right)

princesa said...

I hope you eojoyed ur trip home.
YOu and boo from the same place?! That's nice.

If only i could find a man from my own place too,my parents would be up in the moon,lol!

Zayzee said...

what a memory you have! God save u say dem una head no gree for kidnappers. That is why they were arguing.

Jennifer A. said...

LOLLLLL @ touching the exposed live wire in the living room...so the electric shock was thrilling, eh? I can just imagine...lolllll...

I wonder why we all like some form of electric shock! I think it makes life more interesting!!!!

Loved ur reminiscence!

Jennifer A. said...

I'm glad u and ur sister started running o...all these people that use small children for juju, thank God they didn't get u...

Lolll @ Nice anon...so u used to think u were the little girl in the Imperial ad?? Haaaaaa, ur auntie is sooooo hilarious!!!! LOLLLL..

Nice Anon said...

Yes she did and i absolutely believed her. I even went as far as telling everyone that oh that's me and my parents on TV. I swear i don't know what i was thinking

Ms. emmotions said...

i never seem to get here on time anymore....not happy about this at all, the few days i didnt check.....BOOM !!!! U had an update...

wait o, ur frd's man still wit her? wow ! this is luv like never b4..lol,

congrats ones again ...ur new home

Naija Chickito said...

@princesa-The trip home was good.
If that's truly your heart's desire (and not just your parents')then believe and it's yours. Although I don't think it's a big deal. A good man is what's important.

@uzezi- Abi. Thank God.

@Jaycee- Lol. Yeah, thinking about it now, I just shake my head. God definitely looks out for children.

@nice anon- Oh no you didn't! Come on girl!!!lol

ms emotions-Lol, try to be checking more regularly.

And I don't know if I'll call it love. Like DL pointed out above, he probably wants to use her for money rituals! lol. No mind her

@

Zena said...

just discovered your blog, I like the way you write, you know sometimes I remeber my childhood and my parents are like how do you remember,

will def be back

Eyin'ju Oluwa said...

LOL, thank God they didnt carry you babes, imagine that...spooky.

I remember some things as well. but my sister usually remembers more things and then when she asks me i'll say she must have been dreaming,cos i cant remember. Lmao, she hates me for that!

Hope u r having a great week...

Allied said...

Lol.. As i was reading where your parents drops you off, i was thinking to myself "ahh, they dont fear kidnappers"

Then i read the end.. Men, my family did not allow us to walk anyway cause of gbomogbomo

guerreiranigeriana said...

i envy you having your own space o!!!!....congrats...glad you were aware enough to sense the danger with those men...wow!...sometimes when i think of near death situations like that, i can't help but press on, realizing God has kept me so i can accomplish my work...come and update...the weekend don finish;)...

Anonymous said...

"I remember I used to love touching one exposed live wire in the living room. The shock was thrilling! I had no idea it was dangerous, until I was caught",thank god we grow up
@jaycee.so electric shock makes life thrilling?wow i didn't know o.lol
good thing those men didn't get u.that would mean no blog posts 4m niajachikito.ain't god good